Dental care advice is important for your overall health, not just oral health.
Your teeth differ in shape and size. Different tooth has their specific roles to play in the oral cavity. They help us to chew and digest food, to talk, and pronounce different sounds clearly. They give our mouth its shape. A healthy smile is a great asset; and because this is so important, we should give the best care possible to our teeth. Good dental health begins with you. Follow these simple tips to keep your mouth clean and healthy.
Here is some practical dental care advice:
- Brush twice daily (at night is a must) After eating sweets, always rinse. Avoid sticky food and if you consume it, don’t chew, let it dissolve slowly.
- Use straws to drink acidic juices and carbonated drinks, which reduce the contact of teeth with acid.
- Visit your dentist every 6 months for the best dental care advice.
- Use the brush with soft bristles.
- Use proper brushing technique (a circular technique for children and modified bass technique for adults)
- Proper alignment of the tooth is important for proper cleaning with a brush. So if you have irregular alignment, visit your dentist.
- Never use medicated toothpaste without your dentist’s recommendation. Sensitivity in old age is quite common, for that anti-sensitivity toothpaste can be used. If it occurs at a young age, kindly consult your dentist.
- Teeth color is different between individuals. For some, it may be a mildly yellowish shade. No need to worry about it.
- Pea-sized toothpaste is more than enough for brushing. No need to take a huge amount. Keep in mind that toothpaste is just a cleansing medium and its excessive use is neither essential nor recommended.
- 1–2 min proper brushing is good enough. If you are brushing more than that, it means you are removing your teeth enamel slowly. Your toothpaste contains abrasive agents too.
- Change your brush every 3–4 months or once it gets flare. If it gets flared in one month means that you are giving excessive force that may abrade your teeth.
- Visit your dentist for a cleaning or scaling every 6 months.
- All of us have a microbial environment in our oral cavity. There are some good bacteria too. Even after brushing this microbial flora will be re-established. Tooth decay and bad breath occur not because of these microbes but because of the byproduct (acid, which dissolves enamel) produced by these bacteria in reaction with the food particles (mostly carbohydrates that contain sugar) deposited on the tooth surface.
- Bad breath occurs due to various reasons other than dental, starting from common cold to cancer. So better check it.
- Bleeding gums occurs mostly due to plaque (deposits on the tooth surface close to gums). But can also occur due to other causes like Vitamin deficiency and several others.
- Always keep your blood sugar and blood pressure level checked.
- If your salivary secretion is not sufficient for cleansing action, you are more prone to tooth decay. Consume enough water.
- Tongue cleaning is also an essential part of brushing. So do it properly. Never overdo it, which may cut your taste buds
- Proper brushing techniques should be taught to children before giving toothbrushes and pastes.
- Dental hygiene should start immediately after birth (after tooth eruption)
- According to my, flossing is essential for those who have food impaction (lodging of food between two teeth). Otherwise, it’s not of much importance.
- If you follow proper brushing techniques then there is no need for mouthwashes. Remember there are certain mouthwashes which on regular use will cause stains, gives refreshing effect not cleaning.
- These are certain oral care advice Consult your Dr.DAMINI AGARWAL, the best dentist in Lucknow, at Infinity dental, the best dental clinic in Lucknow, Periodically for Proper Dental Care.